Friday, January 22, 2010

The Buddy Alexander Book, and so it begins.







I have begun work on the book that will chronicle the photographic work of Buddy Alexander. I have decided that the first chapter I will tackle will contain photos of local businesses, such as restaurants, stores, car dealerships, and shops. It will be titled, "Wheels, Deals, and Meals: Stores and Businesses in Cherokee County." I have collected about 35 photos of various businesses, most of which no longer exist. They include variety stores such as Kessler's and Rosenblum's, restaurants such as the Kwik-Chik and the Barbeque Dixie Inn, and grocery stores such as Blair's Super Market and Colonial Grocery Store, all of which are no longer in business.
Now comes my favorite part, the research portion, where I have to find out what city and street these businesses were on, who owned them, what did they sell, etc. I hope you enjoy following my progress as much as I enjoy progressing along with the book.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait for this book! Mick proved with the Cotton Mill Book that a well-researched book can be fun to read. He captured the essence of Canton as a mill town, and I have no doubt that he will do the same here. The Alexander photograph collection is such a valuable resource for Cherokee County and I'm looking forward to introducing "Buddy" to a whole new generation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mick. This photo is "reversed". Standing at the bottom of the hill, looking uphill, the Colonial Store was on the lefthand side. That is Canton Grammar School in the background, on Academy Street.

    ReplyDelete